Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December 26: Typical Day

In 2012, I do not have one day in particular to be referred as a typical day, due to the rapid change of routine and responsibilities. 

Until March, my typical day consisted of hours of researching and brainstorming in the name of thesis-writing, along with Sherlock marathon and aimless Internet surfing, occasional meet-ups, and thesis supervision dates. After that, until my commencement day in May, just the Sherlock marathon, aimless Internet surfing, occasional meet-ups, and online job-hunting. 

On this kind of typical day, it is very typical to sleep at as late as 5 am after pulling an all-niter for thesis, and to wake up at as early as 7 am because the thesis supervisor requested a 9 am meeting. I was a night owl at its best, and that meant having my mum constantly lecturing me on the harms of staying up late to my overall health.

A week after graduation, I started working in the capital city as a feature reporter for an infamous women lifestyle magazine. With a 9-to-6 working hours, I was forced to be a morning person. Luckily, moving out of Bandung to Jakarta means living on my own, and because I can, if not have to, rent a room to live, I was able to live nearby my office. After working hours, I usually would catch up with friends, usually ones who also came from Bandung, who are also working in the city. On weekends, if I didn't visit my hometown, I would stay home (read: not going out of my room) and do some long-overdue chores.

On this kind of typical day, I would spend most of my time in front of the computer browsing around to look for materials for my articles. Some days I would go out reporting product launching or art performances. I would also be preparing for and doing photo shoots, which were my least favourite part of work.

After about six months, I quit the job. My typical day remains more or less the same afterwards, other than the fact that I am now becoming more of an early bird, because my office hours starts at 8 am. In addition, even though it ends at 5 pm, I rarely go home on time, making the time I spend for working is as much as ten hours a day in average, if not minimum.

My typical day has many things I can easily cherish. 
No matter how late I wake up, I can rush and be at the office in ten minutes. I have my own room at the office, with spacious desk and drawers in which I stock up on my breakfast cereals. I work at the central part of the city, which makes it easy to go out after office hours. I live on my own so I have no worries on curfews. 

In many ways, my current typical day is similar to the one I had in my exchange semester. 
However, it might be surprising for some, that my typical day involves a sheer pride for not spending anything for lunches so that I can splurge on dinners with friends. That is why costly lunches suck. At least for me. But, apparently, it does not stop me from buying pearl milk tea at noon.

No comments:

Post a comment